Saturday, October 23, 2004

ALL-TIME FAVORITE FILM: The Straight Story

This is a reprinting of a review of "The Straight Story" that I posted on IMDb.com back on June 16th, 2002. I can't express it any better today, more than two years later, so here it is:

==========================
Summary:
Tops my list of personal favorite films, and that's not said lightly

Review:
I have a hard time putting this into words. In order to convey what I want to say, I'm going to have to give some information about me.

I have been a film buff all my life. Before I went into Information Technology, I spent four years being a film major at both BYU and the University of Utah. I estimate that I have seen over 6000 films in my lifetime. I have many personal favorite films of all genres. I am considered by my friends and family the most reliable (and un-shut-up-able) source when it comes to gauging, rating, and examining films.

So, when I say that The Straight Story TOPS THE LIST OF MY PERSONAL FAVORITE FILMS, it really, really means something.

This movie is directed by David Lynch, who I consider one of the top five American filmmakers, right up there with Martin Scorcese and Stanley Kubrick. Likely, unless you're a film buff or an old Twin Peaks fan, you've never heard of David Lynch. Most of David Lynch's movies are considered cult films. Ever heard of Blue Velvet? Wild At Heart? Lost Highway? Eraserhead? Or even the recent film Mulholland Drive? If you haven't, it just means you're neither a small-film connoisseur nor a David Lynch fan. And, unless you have a taste for unusual, dream-like, sometimes unsettling (a.k.a. 'artsy-fartsy') cinema, then you never need to remember the name David Lynch.

However, to everyone else in this entire world who is willing to devote 2 hours of their short life to watching a movie, there are two films David Lynch has made that should appeal to anyone: The Elephant Man (made in 1980), and The Straight Story.

The Straight Story is about the true life experience of a man named of Alvin Straight. He lived in a small town in Ohio. He was 73 years old when he decided to visit his younger brother in Michigan who had suffered a stroke. He hadn't spoken to his brother in 11 years, due to an old quarrel. Alvin had bad eyes, he could not drive himself in a car there. He doesn't like others driving for him. So, he hitches a trailer to his riding-mower for use as a sleeping compartment, packs lots of hotdogs and braunaschwerger, and starts out towards his brother's place -- at a speed of roughly 10 to 15 miles per hour.

Many things happen along the way. We discover more about Alvin, the way he sees things, what he's been through in his life. We learn more about he and his brother. At a couple points, he must swallow his pride and graciously accept the help of good-hearted strangers. At times, he is able to provide assistance to others. Richard Farnsworth (who was nominated for the best actor oscar for this movie) plays Alvin Straight. He died less than one year after it was finished. Sissy Spacek plays his sensitive daughter in a hugely underrated performance.

This movie, to me, represents filmmaking at its highest form of art. It is an absolutely perfect blend of visual mastery, appropriate musical scoring and musical placement, a well-presented tale truly worth telling, and it is filled with material that the thoughtful viewer can derive personal interpretation from. Most others that have seen this film really like it -- on the surface it is sweet and simple. It is a well made, slow-paced but entertaining film, free of anything that could possibly offend even the easily offendible person. For many viewers, that's all it is and all it will ever be for them. In my case, when I watch the film, I find in it all the sublimities of life. I want to get on my hands and knees and weep and thank God for every day I live, all that I have, and all the trials I've been through. I want to embrace my loved ones and pour all the love of my soul on them. I want to look into the eyes of every stranger and say "I genuinely care about your welfare, I respect you no matter what our differences, and I would love to get to know you better." I am full of love and patience for all mankind. It is one of the only films I have ever seen that truly influences me to be a better human being, and it doesn't have one single preachy moment in it.

Maybe it won't do the same for you, but that is the power I feel in this remarkable film. Although it is rated 'G', it would be tedious for short-attention-spanned kids 12 and younger to sit through. It would be tedious for short-attention-spanned adults to sit through as well. If you're the kind of person who'd rather see two hours of Alvin Straight using his riding-mower 'Jackass-style', like shredding melons, pinecones, shoes and other assorted items with the blades, or flying off ramps into muddy pits, then this is not your movie. Only those who are capable of enjoying a transcendary film experience may apply.
==========================